Chapters in Books and Conference Proceedings
Goren L, R. Toussaint, E. Aharonov, David Sparks, and Eirik Flekkoy, (2013) “A general criterion for liquefaction in granular layers with heterogeneous pore pressure”. Poromechanics V: pp. 415-424, doi: 10.1061/9780784412992.049, Edited by C Hellmach, B Pichler, and D Adam. Publisher: American Society of Civil Engineers
Aharonov E, Goren, L., Sparks, D., and Toussaint, R (2013), “Localization of Shear in Saturated Granular Media: Insights from a Multi-Scaled Granular-Fluid Model”. Poromechanics V: pp. 471-480. doi: 10.1061/9780784412992.056. Edited by C Hellmach, B Pichler, and D Adam. Publisher: American Society of Civil Engineers
Makedonska N, L. Goren, D. Sparks and E. Aharonov (2009) “What Controls the Effective Friction of Shearing Granular Media?” in Meso-Scale Shear Physics in Earthquake and Landslide Mechanics. Edt. Y. Hatzor, J. Sulem and I. Vardoulakis. ISBN: 9780415475587, CRC Press.
Goren L, E. Aharonov, and M. H. Anders (2009), “Thermo-poro-mechanical effects in landslides dynamics”. In Meso-Scale Shear Physics in Earthquake and Landslide Mechanics. Ed. Y. Hatzor, J. Sulem and I. Vardoulakis. ISBN: 9780415475587, CRC Press.
Karcz, Z., Polizzotti, R.S. and Ertas, D., Laronne Ben Itzhak, L. and Aharonov, E. (2009) “Dissolution of a Stressed Calcite Crystal– High Resolution Strain Measurements and Interface Observations”, Proceedings of the American Rock Mechanics Association Symposium.
Aharonov, E. (2003) "What controls the rheology of granular material?", Continuum Models and Discrete Systems, ed. D.J. Bergman and E. Inan, NATO science series II. Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry.
Aharonov, E., and D. Sparks (2002), "Simulations of Shear in Gouge zones", Proceedings of The 2nd ACES workshop on Earthquake simulations, ed. M Matsuura, K Nakajima, and P Mora, APEC corporation of Earthquake simulations.
Sparks D. and E. Aharonov, (2002), "Anatomy of a slip event in an idealized fault gouge", Proceedings of The 2nd ACES workshop on Earthquake simulations, ed. M Matsuura, K Nakajima, and P Mora, APEC corporation of Earthquake simulations.
Kelemen, P., and E. Aharonov, (1998), "Periodic formation of magma fractures and generation of layered gabbros in the lower crust beneath oceanic spreading centers", in Faulting and Magmatism at Mid-Ocean Ridges, Geophysical Monograph v. 106, AGU Monographs.
Refereed Journal Articles
Katz O, Morgan J, Aharonov E, Dugen B (2014), “Controls on the size and geometry of landslides: Insights from DEM computer simulations”, accepted to Geomorpholgy.
Laronne Ben-Itzhak L, Aharonov E, Karcz Z, Kaduri M, Toussaint R (2014) “Sedimentary stylolite networks and connectivity in Limestone: Large-scale field observations and implications for structure evolution”, accepted to J Structural Geology
Siman-Tov S, Aharonov E, Sagy A, Emmanuel S, (2013) “Nano grains Form Carbonate Fault Mirrors”. Geology, 41, pp. 703-706, doi: 10.1130/G34087.1 (Reviewed by a Research Focus Article in Geology)
Angheluta, L; Mathiesen, J; Aharonov, E (2012). “Compaction of Porous Rocks by dissolution on discrete stylolites: A one dimensional model”, J. Geophys. Res, v. 117, Article # B08203, DOI: 10.1029/2012JB009245
Laronne Ben-Itzhak L, Aharonov E, Toussaint R, Sagy A, (2012), “Upper bound on stylolite roughness as indicator for amount of dissolution”, Earth Plant. Sci. Lett., pp. 186-196; 10.1016/j.epsl.2012.05.026
Makedonska N, D. W. Sparks, E. Aharonov, L. Goren, (2011) “Friction versus dilation revisited: insights from theoretical and numerical models”, J. Geophys. Res., 116, B09302, DOI: 10.1029/2010JB008139.
A. Klar, E Aharonov, B. Kalderon-Asael, O Katz (2011) , “Analytical and observational relations between landslide volume and surface area", J. Geophys. Res. Earth Surface, doi:10.1029/2009JF001604
- L. Goren, E. Aharonov, D. Sparks, R Toussaint (2011) "The mechanical coupling of fluid-filled granular media under shear", in special issue on “Brittle deformation of solid and granular materials with applications to mechanics of earthquakes and faults", Pure and Applied Goephysics, 168, 2289–2323.
- Goren L., E. Aharonov, M. Anders, (2010)“The long runout of the Heart Mountain landslide: A chemo-thermo-poro-elastic mechanism”.JGR Solid Earth. DOI:10.1029/2009JB007113
- Goren L., E. Aharonov, D. Sparks, and R. Toussaint, (2010) “Pore pressure evolution in deforming granular material: A general formulation and the infinitely stiff approximation”.JGR Solid Earth . DOI:10.1029/2009JB007191
- R. Katzman, E. Aharonov and B. Haimson (2009) “Compaction bands induced by borehole drilling”, Acta Geotechnica, 4, 163-176.
- Aharonov E and Katsman, R (2009), “Interaction between pressure solution and clays in stylolite development: insights from modeling”, American J of Science, 309, 7,607-632.
- Goren L, and Aharonov E, (2008) ”On the Stability of Landslides”, Earth Planet. Sci. Lett., doi:10.1016/j.epsl.2008.11.002.
- Karcz Z, and Aharonov E, and Ertas D, and Polizzotti R, and Scholz C, (2008) “Deformation by dissolution and plastic flow of a single crystal sodium chloride indenter: An experimental study under the confocal microscope”, JGR solid earth, 113, B04205, doi:10.1029/2006JB004630.
- Goren L, and Aharonov E, and Mulugeta G, and H A Koyi and Mart Y. (2008), “Ductile Deformation of passive margins: a new mechanism for subduction initiation”, JGR solid earth (paper highlighted in Nature Geosciences, October 2008)
- Goren L, and Aharonov E (2007), “Long runout landslides: the role of frictional heating”, GRL, 4, L07301, doi:10.1029/2006GL028895.
- Aharonov E, and Bouchbinder E and Ilyin V and Makedonska N and Procaccia I and Schupper N (2007), “Direct identification of the glass transition, growing length scales and the onset of plasticity”, Europhysics Letters, Vol 77, March 5.
- Katz O and Aharonov E, (2006), "Landslides in a vibrating sand-box: what controls types of slope-failure and frequency magnitude relations?", Earth Plant. Sci. Lett., vol 247 (3-4), 280-294.
- Katsman, R, Aharonov E, and Scher H, (2006),Localized compaction in rocks: Eshelbys inclusion and the Spring Network Model,, Geophys. Res. Lett., 33, L10311, 10.1029/2005GL025628.
- Katsman, R and Aharonov E (2006), A study of compaction bands originating from cracks, notches and compacted defects, Journal of Structural Geology, vol. 28, 508-518.
- Katsman, R, Aharonov E and Scher H, (2006), A numerical study on localized volume reduction in elastic media: some insights on the mechanics of anticracks, Journal Geophysical Res, Vol. 111, No. B3, B03204, 10.1029/2004JB003607.
- Aharonov E and Anders M (2006), Hot water: a solution to the Heart Mountain detachment problem? Geology J., vol. 34 no. 3, 165-168.
- Karcz Z, Aharonov E, Ertas D, Polizzotti R, and Scholz C,(2006), On the stability of a sodium chloride indenter contact undergoing pressure solution,Geology, Vol. 34, No.1, pp. 61-63.
- Mart Y, Aharonov E, Mulugeta G, Ryan W, Tentler T and Goren L.,(2005), Analogue modeling of the initiation of subduction, Geophys. J. Int, 160, 1081-1091.
- Katsman, R, Aharonov E and Scher H, (2005), Numerical simulations of compaction bands in high porosity sedimentary rocks, Mech. of Materials, Vol 37/1 , pp 371-390.
- Aharonov, E., and D. Sparks, (2004), Stick-slip in granular material, J. Geophys. Res, v 109, B09306, DOI:10.1029/2003JB002597.
- Aharonov, E., and D. Sparks, (2002), Shear profiles and localization in simulations of granular material , Physical Rev. E, vol 65, art. 051302.
- Spiegelman M., E. Aharonov, and P. Kelemen, (2001), Causes and consequences of flow organization during melt transport: the reaction infiltration instability in compactable media, Journal Geophysical Res, 106 (B2), 2061-2077.
- Anders, M, Aharonov E. and Walsh J, (2000), Stratified granular media beneath large slide blocks: Implications for mode of emplacement, Geology, 28, 11, pg. 971-974.
- Aharonov, E., and D. Sparks, (1999),Rigidity Phase Transition in Granular Packings, Physical Review E, 60, 6890-6896.
- Aharonov, E., E. Tentheroy, and C. Scholz, (1998) Precipitation sealing and digenesis: 2.Theoretical analysis, Journal of Geophysical Research, 103, 23,969-23,981.
- Tentheroy E., C. Scholz, E. Aharonov, and A. Leger, (1998), Precipitation sealing and digenesis: 1.Experimental results, Journal of Geophysical Research, 103, 23,951-23,968.
- Gal D., A. Nur, and E. Aharonov (1998), Stability of pressure solution surfaces, Geophysical Research Letters, 25, 1237-1240.
- Aharonov, E., A. Thompson, and D. H. Rothman (1997), Transport properties and diagenesis in sedimentary rocks: the role of micro-scale geometry, Geology, 25, 547-550.
- Aharonov, E., M. Speigelman, P. Kelemen, (1997), Three-dimensional flow and reaction in porous media: Implications for the Earth's mantle and sedimentary basins, J. Geophys. Res . 102, 14821-833.
- Aharonov, E. and Rothman, D., (1996), Growth of correlated pore-scale structures in sedimentary rocks, Journal of Geophysical Research, 101, 2973-2987.
- Aharonov, E., Whitehead, J., Kelemen, P. and Spiegelman, M., (19995), Channeling instability of upwelling melt in the mantle, Journal of Geophysical Research, 100, 20,433-20,450.
- Kelemen, P., Whitehead, J., Aharonov, E., and Jordahl, K., (1995), Experiments on flow focusing in soluble porous media: application to melt extraction from the mantle, Journal of Geophysical Research, 100, 475-496.
- Aharonov, E. and Rothman, D., (1993), Non-Newtonian flow (through porous media): a lattice Boltzmann method, Geophysical Research Letters, 20, 679-682.